Thursday, May 29, 2008

Great Glebe Garage Swindle

"How much for these three spools of thread?" I ask, slightly cupping the spools in my hand. I don't want him to see what he is giving up. I act relaxed, uncaring - as if I don't really want them.

"Twenty-five cents for all three," responds Burly Guy. Five O'clock Shadow Friend peeks into my semi-closed hand.

"Wow, those are vibrant colours," he comments.

I smile, I close my hand tightly around the hard wooden spools, pay Burly Guy his trente sous, and feel thrilled with my take.

"It's not the thread I'm after. It's the wooden spools." I reply.

Then, I quickly walk away, looking over my shoulder, worried that they will chase after me for the lost treasure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that treasure-hunt feeling where your heart's beating fast and you're trying to act all nonchalant and you feel like a bandit as soon as the transaction's complete.

Pandora said...

Woodsy! Such a swindler. Bet you could have bargained him down...

Woodsy said...

Zoom, it's such a natural high...

Pandora, Oh, darn, and I thought I was being so clever... You're right, I should have said, "24 cents, and you've got a deal..."