Sunday, September 13, 2009

STELLAaaaaaaah!

Stella has a breakfast dilemma, so I prepared my favourite breakfast and took pictures to respond to her request for breakfast ideas.

The night before, I place in a pot:
  • 1 cup of old fashioned oats,
  • a few spoonfuls of nuts or seeds,
  • a dash of cinnamon (optional), and
  • water to cover everything to about a quarter inch past the dry ingredients.
I let the mix soak overnight. This cuts the cooking time from 20 minutes to 1 minute. (I also leave a bowl of frozen berries on the counter to thaw overnight.)

In the morning, I heat the mix of soaked oats and seeds on the stove. Once heated, I place the oatmeal, a splash of milk (cow, soy, rice, or other kind of your choice) in a bowl, and top it all with the thawed berries and a sprinkle of brown sugar or maple syrup.

I wash it all down with a cup of hot black Assam tea, and I am sorrensified until noon.

10 comments:

Stella said...

Woodsy, you never cease to impress. I am reading over your post with my BH and we are both excited to try this out! Many thanks!!

skylark said...

NOW you're talking my language!

coyote said...

It always gets back to that damn oatmeal, don't it?

And for the record, Woodsy, I am totally stoked that I have, according to the Great God Google, just visited the sole source of sorrensification in the cyberverse...

Woodsy said...

Stella, how did it turn out? I find it hard to give recipes that I don't measure.

Skylark, you are such an oatmeal groupie.

Coyote, I know, I know... isn't that great, exciting and marvelous... I have now added it to the Web folksonomy!

Anonymous said...

This is sort of like our "desperate times" breakfast. Back in Halifax when we were without electricity for almost 2 weeks, we'd go to the Tim Horton's downtown the night before and fill up a couple of big thermoses with boiling water. Then we'd add oats and stuff to one of them, shake it up and leave it over night. In the morning - presto! Almost hot oatmeal.

Stella said...

We've tried it twice now and it's awesome. My BH is an especially huge fan and enjoys putting it together at night... Not to mention eating it up in the morning. It's nice not to have to wait for 45 minutes for it to cook! Thanks for your help!

Woodsy said...

XUP, you got it girl. It also works great for camping when you want to save on using up propane.

Stella and BH, oh so glad it worked. And, Stella, it's sweet that BH prepares the oatmeal for you.

nursemyra said...

If you substitute hot chocolate for the tea you're making my kind of breakfast :-)

Jen G said...

Porridge for last-minute people: I use minute oats. Slop half a cup in a bowl in the morning, add enough milk to cover, nuke for 2 minutes or so (adding seeds, nuts, raisins, frozen berries or spices to taste/by whim or subject to availability), then eat with a dash more milk. I accompany it with as much coffee as I can drink without ACTUALLY getting the jitters. And I'm satiated til noon or later - hey presto.

Woodsy said...

Nursemyra, hot chocolate (made from scratch) it is for you if you ever come to Ottawa for breakfast at my house.

Jen G, I don't like microwaves, they tend to straighten my hair even if I stand 2 feet away. But for those who don't mind straight her, micro-waving is certainly a great option.