Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Young Ardent Defender of Man

The phone rings, and I hurry to answer, certain that it is Word Wizard calling from Islands.

I hear the first syllable of his genial hello, and I know it is him. "Hi my sweet son! How are you?" I burst out, interrupting his salutation.

"Great, great. What about you, Woodsy?" My sons have always called me by my first name.

"I am well. So, do you want me to send you the letter, or should I open it?" I ask out of obligation, knowing full well that he wants me to open it.

"Open it, please," he replies in his mellow earthy voice.

I read from the letter, "We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted as a student of the Università degli Studi di Milano..."

"I figured I would get in," comments the Word Wizard in his usual confident but humble way.

"Isn't life great!" I almost scream.

"It sure is," he responds with a little, he,he,he, chuckle that is his signature happy sound.

"Well, I have to go," he says, "I don't have access to this phone for long. I'll call you some... I mean, I'll call you soon."

We both burst out laughing. We know each other well enough to appreciate subconscious slips.

I miss him dearly, but at 20, he was ready to leave the nest. I remember with great clarity, 6 days after his birth, promising him that I would make the best of our time together, "because you are only mine for a short time."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, he'll be yours forever Woodsy, just differently.

Anonymous said...

Woodsy, I know exactly how you feel. My son just turned 21 and he used to worship the ground I walked on...then he hit about 16 and he hardly talked anymore. This year he left for college and now when he's home he talks more...they slip away a bit, but they always come back to your heart.

Woodsy said...

Zoom and Deb, thank you... We keep them in our hearts forever...